Eighth-grade students who satisfy the required criteria listed below are encouraged to apply for an HFS Chicago Scholarship. It may not be necessary to exhibit all five elements listed. However, the more of these criteria you possess, the better your chances of being selected as a Scholar. You must plan to attend (and eventually gain acceptance to) a private high school that requires tuition.
Basic requirements are as follows:
- Grade Point Average of 3.0 or above (B average or above for 7th and 8th grades)
- Average to above average standardized test scores, i.e. TerraNova, ITBS, ISAT or Other scores (from seventh grade)
- Evidence of leadership potential
- Evidence of positive academic work ethic
- Demonstration of financial need (family income must be less than $55,000 to apply–if extenuating circumstances, please note this in your application.
Students who are accepted as Scholars must agree to the terms outlined in the HFS Scholarship Agreement for Success, which includes expectations for academic standards, commitment to community service, and active participation in HFS sponsored events and mentoring. Additionally, all incoming Scholars are required to attend and successfully complete summer enrichment courses offered by HFS in preparation for high school. Tuition for this summer program is covered by HFS.
1. Upload a scanned copy of your child’s handwritten essays on the application (with all four essay questions provided in one file). Essays questions are provided on our “Apply Now” page and on the application.
2. Upload a scanned copy of 2017 filed income tax documents.
3. Upload a scanned copy of your child’s 7th grade report cards on the application. If you have any current 8th grade report cards, also upload on the application. If you receive your child’s 8th grade report cards after November 15th, please send a copy to our mailing address at 1074 W. Taylor, Mail Suite 201, Chicago, IL 60607.
4. Upload a scanned copy of your child’s 7th grade Standardized Test Scores, i.e.TerraNova, ITBS or other.
5. Send one recommendation letter from either a Math teacher, English teacher, or Counselor (1 letter REQUIRED/no more than three will be accepted).
**If you have difficulty uploading documents, they may be mailed to the below mailing address after completing and submitting the online application.
**Letters of Recommendation must be in sealed envelope & answer the following questions:
- How long have you known this person?
- What is the nature of your relationship?
- Why is this person a good candidate for HFS?
- Any additional may be added
Mail Recommendation Letters to:
HFS Chicago Scholars
Attention: Application Review Board
1074 West Taylor Street, Mail Suite#201
Chicago, IL 60607
OCTOBER 10, 2018- 7th & 8th Grade Night – Children of Peace School -6-8pm
NOVEMBER 15, 2018– EXTENDED DECEMBER 7TH –Deadline for completed applications. Letters of recommendation must be mailed to 1074 W. Taylor Street., 201, Chicago, IL 60607 (Mailing Address Only). Do not drop materials at the office. Materials must be postmarked no later than November 15.
JANUARY Applicants notified if selected for an interview. Reminder to Candidates–Apply for financial aid at your prospective high schools.
FEBRUARY Interviews held at Children of Peace School (appointment only).
MARCH Applicants are notified if selected for a scholarship.
APRIL Acceptance of Scholarship forms due with final high school choice, proof of high school registration, and results from high school entrance exam.